Thursday, April 21, 2011

Lab 3

      For my neogeography map I decided to create a map showing a road trip from Southern California to Northern California.  This is a road trip that I have done many times to get from school at UCLA back to my hometown in Northern California.  Over the course of these many trips I have found a lot of good places to stop along the way.  The route used on this map follows highway 101.  Although highway 5 is a little bit faster, the 101 is much more scenic, so if you have a little extra time this is a great route to take.  Along the route I have indicated several points of interest.  There are fun places to stop, including restaurants, shopping, beaches and tourist attractions.  This route and the points of interest indicated along it make for a great road trip if you need to travel between Los Angeles and the San Francisco Bay Area.
      Making this map wasn’t too hard overall.  I struggled with a few problems, but in general google maps was fairly easy to work with.  Learning how to click and drag to create lines took a little practice but came pretty easily.  I did run into one more major issue.  When I first created my map I used the “draw a line along roads” feature in google maps, then when I saved my map and came back to it instead of saving the route that I had drawn out google had saved it as straight lines between each point, not following the curves of the highway.  So then I had to redo the lines, this time just using the “draw a line feature” and draw a series a straight lines that followed the curves of the road as closely as possible.  Another  issue I had was at first when I wanted to make a polygon I just outlined it with regular lines, instead of using the “draw a shape” feature, but I realized this eventually and corrected it as well.  So here is the final product of my efforts: 

View So-Cal to Nor-Cal Road Trip in a larger map

No comments:

Post a Comment