Thursday, May 5, 2011

Lab 4

Using the ArcMap program took some getting used to, but overall it is pretty
user friendly.   As with any computer program, getting used to the basic
interface of the software takes a little time, but once I figured that outW
most of it was straightforward.  The menus are pretty self explanatory, such
as file, edit, view, layout, etc.  Especially because many of them are
similar to the menus in other windows programs I found it easy enough to get
used to these menus.

For me one of the challenges with ArcMap is getting used to using the
windows operating system.  Although I have used it a lot in the past, I
currently use a Mac for my personal computer.  I have become accustomed to
it and started to like it much better, so it can be difficult to switch back
to Windows.  There is another challenge for me when working with ArcMap; I
am currently taking another class that requires computer mapping right now,
but it uses a different program, so it can be confusing for me to switch
back and forth between the two.  The other class is urban sociology, and we
use a program called MapInfo to map demographic data.  Because I had to
learn both these programs around the same time and use them simultaneously,
it was at times difficult for me to keep them straight, especially when
preforming similar functions.

When it came to the latter exercises, which were more complex I experienced
a little more difficulty.  This is when the step by step instructions came
in handy.  At first it took more time because I had to read through the
instructions completely then look at the screen and locate what they were
talking about, then refer back to the instructions in order to complete each
step.  But after doing the exercises a few times I became more used to the
software, and did not have to consult the instructions for each step
anymore.

I think the ArcMap software takes a little practice to learn, but for most
people who have experience with computers, and Windows, it shouldn’t be too
difficult to learn the basics.  However, to make complex maps, such as ones
sophisticated enough for government use must take much more training and
time.  The level of detail in these types of maps requires a lot of work in
a program like ArcMap.  For basic purposes Arc Map is a good program, that
is not too difficult to learn how to use.  I think that GIS has a great deal
of potential because the software is accessible to the average person.  I
think it will become more widely used in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment